Thursday, December 1, 2011

Scattered thoughts on the NBA...

So over the weekend the NBA finally worked out it's CBA.  So there will be basketball on Christmas day.  When I read the news the first thought that popped into my head was, "oh... okay.  So what do the match-ups look like in the NFL this weekend."  Growing up I used to watch the NBA.  As a kid I would watch the Blazers of the 90's.  I enjoyed the fast paced action, the pure athleticism, and you had stars like MJ, Drexler, Barkley, Bird.  Of course having NBA Jam in every arcade didnt hurt.  But like my food and drink tastes changed as I aged, so did my sports tastes.

Now I grew up in a NFL house.  The 49ers of the 80's and 90's were on TV every Sunday.  MLB was also on the TV and radio growing up, but as a child it was far too slow for me.  So I never got into it.  I played tennis in school, and still follow it to this day, would sometimes catch a Hockey game at the local arena.  Never got into motor racing until I started watching F-1 in the last few years.

As I got older basketball, even college basketball stopped being fun to watch.  Too many games to watch, too few teams with real chances.  Too many stars selling shoes and video games, and not enough interesting play.  College basketball with the one and one makes sure that the only thing to follow is a school or coach.  And with the coaching changes each year even that is hard to follow.

With the NBA gone during the lock out, I will be honest that I didnt even miss it.  Same as I felt during the NHL mess awhile back.  Had the whole season been lost, and had the TV contracts been canceled, I wouldn't have really noticed that much.  There are other sports, other stories, other distractions to fill my time.

On the bright side though, the new salary cap and pay scale rules for the NBA may help it become more interesting.  We may finally get a small measure of parity in the NBA.  Which would be great. However, that still is not going to get me watching season long.  But hey, lets see what happens.

/end rant

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.