Tuesday, December 4, 2012

On being not as sick as I could have been...

So its been awhile... again.  I know, I know.  I always say that.  What can I say, I'm lazy, and busy.  But mostly lazy.   So it goes.

So random venting, ranting, and praise time.

I am just getting over being sick.

Really sick.

So sick the medication made me sicker to the point of scaring all those around me pretty much completely and thoroughly shitless.  Long and short of it.  I had one of those really annoying persistent coughs that just refused to die, and occasionally got worse.  6 weeks of fighting it and I was done, ready for help.  So I go and get seen at the medical office.  They check me out and give me some antibiotics and an inhaler to get my bronchial swelling down.  On day 9 of 10 of the antibiotics I have a reaction, basically full body reaction.

I am fine, and will be 100%  recovered shortly.  In a weird way I am thankful for the experience.  I am not a "high user" of healthcare.  I work in the field these days and it was good to get a patients point of view.  Everyone I dealt with was nice, knowledgeable, and result oriented.  So I get to come out on top.  Many are not as fortunate.

This was a rare condition, as I am told 2 in 500,000 or so.  There isn't alot of first hand experience with it outside of very specialized departments.  Which is why I am so grateful to the people I dealt with before getting their.  They hit the evidence based research when in doubt.  They made sure I was doing what had been shown to work, not just what they thought might.  Doing that early was the key to minimizing the damage, and speeding up my recovery.

What scares me is that so many people are becoming anti-science.  Wanting things done that "feel" right.  If that had been the case for me,  I would be in intensive care right now, and would not be close to being on a recovery path.

I am not saying science is perfect, it can have a dark side.  I dont want to eat corn that has been engineered to be frost resistant and immune to DDT.  In this country I dont get much of a choice in that if I eat processed foods.  But so it goes.   At least with science though, we know what we know, and we know what we dont know.

The reaction I had is so random and could have been to anything, we dont know exactly why it happens to some, and not to others.  Yet.  But at least there is enough research into outcomes to know what works and what doesnt.

Ok thats long enough of a rant.
Later

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.